Monday, April 03, 2006

1st, 2nd, and 3rd Coffee

I was struck by the Lui custom of serving “first,” “second,” and “third” coffee. It was a puzzle to me at first. And I consider myself a serious coffee-drinker. For you other coffee-lovers, I offer this explanation.

I gather that they must put the ground coffee into one vessel, and then they offer the first serving. The “first coffee” is the strongest brew. It’s a stand-your-hair-on-end brew!

Then they and the coffee pot will disappear, then they come back offering “second coffee.” I gather this is where another batch of boiling water has been added to the coffee grounds, so it’s not as strong as the “first coffee.”

Then they disappear a while and return with “third coffee.” This is the weak coffee that my family typically served.

You’ll typically be offered sugar with you coffee. But there is no milk – much less cream.

No comments: